The first month was definitely fun and exciting with a new baby and everyone getting used to one another (dogs included) but it wasn't without its difficulties either. The most difficult thing has been breast feeding. I didn't think it would be so difficult but all babies are different and we have really had to work at it during every feeding. After seeing 2 lactation specialists I learned that she wasn't taking in enough milk to gain weight. She was supposed to be back at her birth weight by 2 weeks and we finally got there at 4 weeks. They said this is not unusual and they weren't too concerned that this point because she wasn't losing weight. But of course as a mother I felt terrible and like a failure. After meeting with a lactation consultant last Monday, she discovered that she was a 1/2oz shy on her intake and therefore getting enough to sustain but not gain. So, I have been drinking Milkmaid Tea 3 times a day and pumping 3 times and supplementing 3 feedings with a bottle. Thankfully she has taken to the bottle extremely well, I'm sure it helps that she is so young and doesn't know better at this point. The last thing I really wanted to do was supplement formula so pumping 3 times a day has really helped my supply and gives her extra milk which makes me happy. After doing this method for 3 days she gained 5oz last week! I was so happy to know that things were working and I've never been so happy to see poop in my entire life! At this point she is still eating every 3 hours ( which is really every 2 by the time I'm done) and its really exhausting, especially at night. But once her weight gain is steady I can start letting her sleep through the night and let her wake me when shes hungry.
OK, enough about breast feeding. This is what I know about Josephine so far. She actually is a very calm and good baby. She rarely fuss's and when she does it usually means, dirty diaper, shes tired or hungry. She does NOT like to be pushed and likes to do things in her own time ( hmmm who does that sound like?? ahhh hmm- Nick). She is a very strong girl and has been picking her head up since the day she was born, so we make sure and do lots of mat/tummy time when she is awake. She has a beautiful gummy smile and I love seeing it everyday. She loves her pacifier, bouncy seat, stroller and car rides and looking at mom and dad.
she has really big hands and long fingers
Pooped
she makes lots of goofy faces
Simba got his hair did!
Thanks for the update!! She has dimples! :)
ReplyDeleteOf course she does! :)
Delete