April 3, 2013

Lending a hand....or a boob

Remember in the beginning when I had so much trouble breast feeding? Well those days are long gone, and because Josie is such a good eater, and from all my hard work those first few weeks/month ( think extra pumping, feedings, tea drinking etc) I now have a huge supply in our freezer.


Here is my routine- are you ready for this? I still get up at 4 am to pump because it keeps my supply up, and there is no way that she would "drain" me at 7 am- I usually pump 8 oz.  Josie is only drinking milk 5x a day now, so while she is at the sitters, I pump at work when she would be eating (10:30 and 2). Then I feed her at 5 and 8 pm  She is now only drinking 5.5 oz per bottle, so I always send over a fresh bottle and a thawed bottle the next day. I have been pumping about 18 oz per day and only sending over 6, so long story short, that is a lot of frozen milk my friends. 

I am currently still pulling milk from Jan 24th, and it would be earlier, but I gave Jen a bunch of frozen bags from December to keep in case of an emergency. I am now using more of my fresh milk because I am mixing it with her foods, so I am freezing less, but still have a big supply. 

My supply will continue to drop as she eats more solids, and breast milk is only good for a certain period, so I thought to myself, why not donate some??? My daughter is healthy and thriving, why wouldn't I help a mother or infant in need? 

I started doing some research and found out its relatively easy process and I would love to help. I looked at a few companies such as the National Milk Bank and the Mother Milk Bank of Ohio and both wanted 200-300 oz minimum and I just didn't feel confident in giving them that amount. 

I did come across this milk bank in California, and even though I'd love to donate locally, in my mind, it doesn't matter where it goes, as long as it goes to infants in need. 


Here is a list of recipients:

Most of our recipients are infants in neo-natal intensive care units (NICUs) throughout California and the West. Other infants receiving donor milk include:
  • babies who are failing to thrive on formula
  • babies and toddlers with life-threatening diseases or conditions
  • children with failing immune systems or catastrophic diseases
  • multiple birth babies, often with lactating mothers who can’t keep up with the milk required to nourish two or three infants
  • adopted infants, whose moms believe in the value of breast milk but can’t produce their own
  • babies of mothers whose breast milk isn’t suitable for consumption, either because of disease or prescription medications that pass through the milk


Like I said, its a relatively easy process and they do all of the work for you. I just had to fill out medical history for myself and Josie, get the OK from our doctors that we are healthy and have a blood test. THAT'S IT! So easy and really fast. They shipped a big cooler, so I had to separate what I was donating and schedule a pick up. 





Even though it might not look like a lot, there is 147 oz of love in those little baggies ( and the crazy part is- I literally only donated what was on the top shelf!!!!).

 I know every doctor and lactation consultant says "breast is best", and whatever anyone chooses is up to them. I just feel so blessed that I've been able to provide this type of nourishment for Josie and am able to help others who can't. It breaks my heart to think that Josie could be one of those babies in the NICU waiting for a donor to come along. 


Proud of our full cooler


After all is said and done, if I still have leftover milk, I will be donating the rest to the same milk bank- it's just too important not to!

Happy Hump Day



























4 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea, Kelly! I bet it feels good to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So neat that you did this - love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its hard to believe we even talked about how rough the first month of bf-ing was! those days are long gone! well done momma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete