May 24, 2013

Happy Friday

Happy Friday everyone! Today's post will be a little different in light of the Memorial Weekend. I, like most kids my age, think of this holiday as just a 3 day weekend with awesome sales and little else, which is so unfortunate.

This weekend is for remembering and thanking those that have served and currently serve our country. I know it's something I would never have the balls to do, and I thank those that have the courage to risk their lives for us, each and every day.

Recently, Uncle Bob was able to go on an "Honor Flight" to D.C and we couldn't be happier for him. He said it was a very busy trip, but honoring the vets, especially WWII, and giving them the chance to see their memorial is so so wonderful. Bob said they flew them in, put them up in a first class hotel, ate a great restaurants and saw all the sites. It was truly a memorable weekend, and I know he was happy to be among veterans just like him. Unfortunately, Grandpa Don passed away right before the memorial opened, so I know Bob took that flight in honor of himself and Grandpa.

There are so few WWII vets left, and we are so lucky to have Uncle Bob who will tell us any story we want to hear. His memory is like steel trap and always has been, so hearing his stories and how things were back then is just amazing. Bob entered the Navy when he was 16.....16! He changed his birth certificate, because "he felt it was his duty to serve". My grandpa Don (his older brother) had joined as well and they were stationed on opposite sides of the world. Grandpa Joe was also in the war and stationed in Italy, but he still doesn't talk about it to this day.

Grandpa Don & Uncle Bob

When I was in the 7th or 8th grade my grandpa gave me his Navy uniform. As you can see he was quite tall, so they pants were super long, but I remember I could hardly get the pants buttoned-that's how skinny he was. They say that WWII vets are dying by the hundreds each day, any we are so lucky and proud to have have had 3 men in our family who served. 

My Grandpa was stationed in the Pacific-
can you tell??

In case you didn't know about the Honor Flights, a DVD was put together to showcase how this wonderful non-profit was started (by an Ohio man!!), and how they are making dreams come true for the few WWII vets that are still around. I have pre-ordered a few copies and look forward to watching the documentary. 

So, this Memorial Day weekend, if you know someone who has served, or is serving, be sure and honor them, or just say "Thank You", because we are all eternally grateful for what they do and for stepping up when someone else wouldn't. 











No comments:

Post a Comment